Friday, February 18, 2011

"In-Laws"

When do the “in-laws” become TOO involved??

Does it happen when they give financial guidance? Does it happen when they decide how traditions will be handled? Does it happen then a parent speaks up to “protect” their own child? Does it happen when sisters give that “friendly new mommy advice”? 

Growing up, I was taught family is number one. We have each other’s back. You mess with one, you mess with us all.  Sure there were fights, disagreements, and many bumps along the way – but family never left. My one constant in life was having two wonderful parents home every night giving us love. They truly knew how to teach us right from wrong, and then to let us fall. Parents can preach and preach all they want, but many of my greatest life lessons were when I completely messed up. And my parents still loved me anyway.

With all of that said…   kids do grow up and move on. They get married and have to learn how to manage a “new” family. Two traditions, two family values, two experiences coming together into one. Sadly, the world today is now use to giving up to easily. As soon as the going gets tough, we throw in the towel. A new marriage is hard enough without all the extra “out-side help”.  

So how do we ask for privacy? And how do we do so by not hurting the ones who loved us for so long?

My little boy is my whole world! And I will be there through thick and thin by his side. With luck and God’s help, he will meet an amazing women who will love him and let me still have my baby boy at times. 

… I am now sitting here kicking myself because I started this blog to express the basic need to start a family privately. To express that maybe the “in-laws” have a little bit too much say.

But someday I will be that “in-law” and I hope my vote still counts! 

Can’t I just have my cake and eat it too!!   =)

No comments:

Post a Comment