I was born and raised in good ol’ IOWA! We don’t have much there but we know how to wrestle! Many great names in the wrestling world have come from Iowa State.
I recently read a news article about how this year was the first year that not only one girl, but two girls made it all the way to the state championship. Let me say, I do not consider myself a feminist nor do I walk around yelling “Girls can do anything Boys can do”…. Even though we can!
I like being a pampered girl who has a strong, macho husband who could pick me up and carry me out of a burning house if need be. But I am super proud of these girls working very hard and kicking a lot of men’s butts to get where they are.
Even more so… I was so proud of a young man who withdrew himself from a match against one of the females. By doing so, it will ensure he can finish no higher than third place. But the statement he made is what really impressed me.
“I have a tremendous amount of respect [for the girls] and their accomplishments. However, wresting is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this matter.”
It would take a lot of guts for a female to go against males, but it took a lot of guts for this boy to stand up for his faith and values.
I tip my hat off to both of them. And to the parents who raised them both right. Way to go!! =)
The comment below was from my amazing, kick butt sister, Jessie, who is still living in Iowa (Love you) ...
ReplyDeleteVery well said. But times are changing and 'our' generation is exposed to many more values, issues, regulations and exceptions. I was sitting in Grandpa Cuts house on Wednesday when the news announced the accomplishments of Ms. Herkelman. Grandpa, in his late 70's and a former wrestler himself, was disguised by the fact there was a female on the mat. He believes the contact and somewhat 'violent' actions in wrestling should not be challenge by two opponents of the opposite sex. He has no problem with a female wrestler, but demanded to separate sexes as they do weight classes. While there are women wrestling competitions outside of school, where do the values cross lines?
I can say from a friend of a friend's friend, Ms. Hackelman is known for being one of the most dedicated, hard-working, talented wrestler regardless of her sex. And I say AMEN to that!